Subscribe

Enter to WIN! … A Luxury Stay at The Omni Hotel Dallas.

The winner for a night’s stay at the Omni Hotel and dinner for two at Bob’s Steak & Chop House will be drawn on 12/15/14. To receive a hardcopy of the newsletter, call 214-821-1500.

Support our firefighters

History Honor Eductation

Watch The Legacy Project

Learn about The Dallas Fire Fighters Museum and the legacy of fire fighting in the Dallas area.

Historic Photos & Movies

This Day in History

November

24 – 1956 A five-alarm fire occurred at 3:43 a.m. at 5225 Maple avenue in a grain elevator owned by Southland Cotton Oil Co. doing business as Southland Feed Mills. The cause was an explosion and caused $450,00 in losses. Later that day at 9:29 a.m. a 2 alarm fire was reported at 8531 Jourdan Way in a dwelling owned and occupied by W. F. Starnes. A rubber hose on a gas heater was to blame for the $42,000 fire.

25 – 1952 A four-alarm fire occurred at 2700 Live Oak in a building owned by 7-up Bottling Co. and occupied by C.E. Kloppe and was caused by a defective extension chord.

26 – 1958 At 5:41 a.m. a three-alarm fire was reported in a one story old frame club building at 4500 Cedar Springs. The Building was owned and occupied by Frank Abel & John J. Fritch. A defective fireplace was to blame for the $21,700 fire.

1965 A three-alarm was reported at 11:04 p.m. at 3211 Chapel Creek in a 2 story new brick and frame apartment building that was under construction and owned by A. W. Beck. The cause of the $50,000 fire was the careless use of a plumbers torch.

1977 A 3 alarm fire occurred at 1346 N. Masters in a one story semi-new brick auto parts house owned by Harry Levy and Gary Lewis doing business as Tandi Realty Company and occupied by Bill Jonas Auto Parts. Cause of the $127,000 fire was incendiary.

27 – 1970 A 2 alarm fire at Skillern’s Drug Store at 6401 Gaston was caused by the careless use of an electric light bulb and resulted in a loss of $115,000.

1975 A $72,500 loss occurred at 14223 Haymeadow in a one story semi-new brick duplex owned by John E. Reuler and occupied by E. Hamilton Guice that was caused by carless smoking.

1976 A one story old brick office building owned and occupied by Dennis White at 3600 Fairmont suffered a two-alarm fire that was caused by arson and resulted in $80,000 in damage.

1981 A five-alarm fire rages at the Clubview Apartments at #3300 Webb Chapel Extension while they were under construction in an incendiary fire resulting in $400,000 worth of damages. The fire was reported at 11:48 p.m.

28 – No events to post.

A Modern Museum

Our goal is to redefine the interior space of the Museum in order to create exhibits and preserve the antique equipment, artifacts and photos for generations to come. Below is the floor plan for the renovation of the first floor exhibit featuring all firefighting equipment and machinery. By changing the interior footprint, The Dallas Firefighters Museum simultaneously will lay the foundation for expanded outreach to thousands of schoolchildren.
Read More

© Dallas Firefighters Museum 2011 |