Dallas Firefighter’s Museum Facts
- The fire station was built in 1907 as home to Hook and Ladder Co. No. 3.
- All materials for the station came from Dallas or surrounding areas in Texas.
- The station and its firefighters operated with distinction from 1907 to 1975, playing a vital role in the fabric of the neighborhood and the City of Dallas.
- In 1968 the City of Dallas Fire Counsel, made up of 30 citizens interested in the fire service, met to discuss the idea of a Museum. A feasibility study justified the creation of a Museum and soon thereafter, the Fire Counsel recommended the establishment of a Museum.
- In 1970, the Dallas Firefighters Museum was incorporated as a non-profit organization and a 50-year charter was granted by the State of Texas
- Completed in 1972, prior to the opening of the State Fair of Texas, the City declared the Museum a City of Dallas Historic Landmark.
- The Museum opened in May 1972.
- Through mainly donations, the Museum leaders have amassed a collection of over 2,000 artifacts including collections of helmets, badges, hats, nozzles, historic photographs and apparatus. Of the 11 trucks, engines and carts in the Museum’s collection one stands out: Old Tige, an 1884 horse-drawn steam pumper named after then Mayor W. L. Cabell.
- There are over 100 years of firefighting history in the Museum. Firefighters come from all over the world to visit.
- The Museum has retained the historic dormitory that was a part of the firehouse, including the brass pole used by firefighters to give them an advantage in getting to the fire.
- Currently, the Museum averages 3,500 visitors per year, with over half of them children.
- The Dallas Firefighters Museum is associated with the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Dallas Historical Society and Fair Park.
- Funding for the Museum is provided through the generosity of fire fighters and admission fees. Of the 1,700 firefighters in the Fire Department, over 1,400 contribute monthly to the Museum.
- The mission of the Dallas Firefighters Museum is to provide the City of Dallas a well-attended historical and educational asset. The Museum will teach fire safety, honor fallen heroes of the Department and preserve firefighting heritage.
- In 2009, the Museum Board and the City of Dallas agreed to a 30-year, long term lease of the fire station as the home of the Dallas Firefighters Museum.
- The Museum’s Board of Directors are working to secure its future and strengthen the educational arm of the Museum to ensure that citizens of Dallas are safe and that the lives of the men and women of Dallas Fire-Rescue are honored and history is preserved.
- The Museum Board has quietly launched a capital campaign to create an interactive Fire and Life Safety Education Center, and all of the renovations that will require. Plans identified a need of $5.6 million for building upgrades and renovations. The Board will seek $4.4 million in endowment funding to expand programming, scholarships and insure the future of the Museum.
The Dallas Firefighters Museum has anchored itself in Dallas as a sought after tourist attraction “that will be a place where time is suspended…a place where rookie and old-timer alike may stand for a moment, with hat in hand, and perhaps give a silent thought to all those smoke-eaters who have gone before…”